Monday, September 19, 2011

30Dos : Questions and Answers

Hey ya'll. It's been over a month since I finished my 30 Days, 30 Dos experiment! You are were so sweet to follow along, and I just thought I'd take a post to answer some of the common questions and respond to some of the common comments I hear.

Above anything, I have been asked, how did you come up with that many hairstyles?

I have two answers to this question, and neither paint a very capable or creative view of me: research and on accident.

If you haven't hopped on the pinterest.com wagon, start now! On pinterest I was able to find and catalog a vast number of hair style photographs that interested me...even those that I had no idea how to do and those that I knew wouldn't work with my hair. I basically built a library of inspiration for my personal reference throughout the project. I still upkeep this library and you can check it out here.

I also used hair words I was familiar with ("braid" "fishtail" "messy chignon") to google new options. Both google and pinterest can lead you to tutorials and step-by-step instructions. I probably watched five youtube videos of fishtail braiding before I could do it to my own hair.

For a couple of the dos, I enlisted help from friends. They brought a fresh eye, new product awareness, and extra hands to the table. Those friends were a big resource.

Quite frankly several of the hairstyles that ended up on the blog happened when I was attempting some totally opposite styling. Day 27 stands out in my head for this (to the left). This was actually supposed to be a ponytail style. Whether my hair was too thick or too short, I will never know, but I accidentally found one of my favorites in the proccess.


Next question, how did you have time to your hair every day?

Honest answer, I didn't. Some mornings I just wouldn't trade the sleep or the shower for the time to do my hair. On days like that, I tried a style in the evening. If I missed a day (which did happen; it's life after all), I would try a day do and an evening do over the weekend.

However my goal was to find diverse styles that fit my lifestyle. Most of these dos took under 10 minutes anyway.

Final question, how did you learn to do all of those hairstyles? This question is often followed by : I couldn't do that to my own hair, or I wouldn't be able to get my hair to do that. 

Yes yes you can. It is the exact advise I give my mom for trying to learn the computer : You can't mess it up, don't freak out before you even begin, just try, play around, and see what happens. Start with confidence that you won't kill the computer.

And you won't kill your hair either. Wearing a new hairstyle is totally up to you. If you don't like it, you can change it! There were several ugly attempts during which I refused to leave the bathroom. I just tried, and played, and didn't put pressure on myself to make it work perfectly. In the process I got to know my hair a little better, my fingers learned new tricks, and the bobby pins progressively were better hidden.

The main point of all of this is that anyone can do hair experiments! I encourage you to do it, and have a blast.

Happy experimenting!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...