Do you ever shop at Trader Jo's? It is our grocery store of choice.
Last night we had a pizza dough from trader Joe's in the fridge. I thought about what else we had in the fridge (not much.) But then I remembered our garden and our herbs! We had a plethora of delicious vine-ripened tomatoes, and fresh basil and oregano in abundance. Happily we had left over mozzarella from the clam bake too. Add those together...margarita pizza!
Easy Margarita Pizza with Fresh Herbs
1 pizza dough or pizza dough crust
2 large heirloom tomatoes (May need 3 for regular tomotoes)
8-12 Fresh basil leaves
5-6 slices of mozzarella cheese about 1/4" thick
5-10 Fresh Oregano leaves (can substitute 2 tsp. dry oregano)
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Remove seeds from tomatos. Dice them into 1/4-1/2" pieces and drain excess juice.
2. Finely chop oregano. Mix with tomatoes, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 tsp. olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spread or prepare pizza dough as directed on package. Brush with remaining olive oil.
4. Spread tomato mixture evenly over the pizza dough.
5. Place mozzarella slices evenly over pizza.
6. Julienne the basil slices and sprinkle evenly on top of the rest of the ingredients.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bake according to pizza dough directions.
I always like to turn the oven to broil for the last 3 minutes of cooking, so that the cheese and crust get a nice toasting.