I used this great recipe from SmittenKitchen.com because, as mentioned in her post, the apple cider is reduced to enhance the cider flavor within the dough. Doughnuts are a lot of work to make, but oh sooooo good in the end. These were outside crispy and inside softy.
My additional comments after using this recipe :
- My batch yielded about 30 doughnuts though I also used approximately a 3" cutter (SmittenKitchen estimates 18). Beware you might get more than you planned. Yes, it's a good problem to have with donuts.
- If you don't own a doughnut cutter, use what's around the house. I used a jam jar for the shape and an Airborne® tube for the holes!
- Double dip all of the glazed donuts. Dip, cool, dip again.
- Chopped walnuts are a tasty addition to the glazed variety.
- The freezer and fridge time between steps is necessary, just trust me.
I want to try this again soon...this time with caramel or maple frosting.