Sunday, June 17, 2012
Nut-Encrusted Salmon Fillets
If you need protein, eat this dish!
Husband and I have been working on eliminating dairy, meat (not including fish), and grain on a semi-regular basis. Normally when we succeed in acomplishing this for a whole day, we are STARVING by dinner time and have huge stomach voids to fill. This dish, while still meeting our restrictions, was so filling I could barely finish it. (Though not to worry, I did).
Two salmon fillets
Handful of unsalted, raw almonds
Handful of unsalted, raw cashews
Handful of unsalted, raw walnuts
Cumin to taste
Fresh rosemary, chopped, to taste
Fresh Basil, chopped, to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Finely chop all nuts. Combine in small mixing bowl.
3. Mix Cumin, Rosemary, Basil, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper into nut mixture.
4. Stir about 1 Tablespoon of peanut oil into the nut mixture, until it packs loosely.
5. Place salmon fillets into baking pan. Pack nut mixture on top of the entire fillet, about 1/4" thick.
6. Bake fish for about 12 minutes, or until just before the dark pink disappears throughout.
7. Turn your oven to broil, and broil for no more than two minutes. This will finish cooking the fish and will give a nice crispiness to the nuts.
8. Serve immediately.
This meal was a nice distraction from a crazy week. My normally healthy and medicine-hating husband had back spasm AND wisdom teeth removal this week. This about sums it all up :